Friday, January 1, 2010

Endings and Beginnings


It is at this time of year that we all find some time to dwell on the lessons of the past and the potent promises possible in the future. All alliteration aside, I find that even the most aloof nonbelievers in the power of New Years Eve leave a door open a crack for a visit from Janus – that old Roman god of gates, doors, doorways, beginnings and endings.

On one face of it, my 2009 was atrocious. Ironically, I began the new year by ending something. I left a dreadfully stressful job, and recovered from that stress. Then I suffered a stroke that put me in the hospital. Throughout the hospital stay with its tests and procedures and recuperating and walking again, I began to appreciate my personal strength in the face of fear and adversity and began to know myself better. I also finally understood that abandoning the stressful job hadn’t been a personal failure. I learned a great deal about myself, and had more time to spend with my husband this past year as he was off work and stayed with me.

In looking back, 2009 was beset by illness, stress and unemployment. But any year you walk away from is a good year. These last few days I’ve restrained myself from thinking bad thoughts about the past year, a feeling which springs from the saying ‘do not speak ill about the dead’ - and what is 2009 but dead and gone? And by avoiding speaking or thinking ill, I have found some good things to say about last year instead. I’ve learned a great deal in 2009. My wish for 2010 is to continue learning, continue growing, and to continue enjoying these doorways I’m passing through.



And now for something completely different . . .

Reg: All right, but apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?

Attendee: Brought peace?

No comments:

Post a Comment